Syntiro, the Greek word for “support” is at the heart of all that we do as we address the varied needs of our clients—local, state, and federal agencies, educators, employers, organizations and individuals—with creativity, knowledge, and innovation. The Syntiro team brings varied and extensive leadership experience to assist in designing solutions that achieve your desired results.
We provide personalized technical assistance and innovative professional learning opportunities designed to enhance organizational and individual capacity. Since 1986 we have provided high quality and engaging professional development and technical assistance to educators across the state. While this remains a foundation of our work, over the last five years our work has expanded into new areas. The areas of college preparation and access, organizational development, facilitation, strategic planning, health and wellness, and professional development for Maine’s community rehabilitation providers are new areas into which we have expanded.
Enhancing and improving educational outcomes for all students, including college preparation and access
- We are partnering with Maine schools and universities to advance high quality education through the provision of technical assistance and professional development. (http://syntiro.org/index.php/events)
- We are partnering with Maine’s Migrant Education and Adult Education programs to provide high school equivalency programs to migrant and seasonal farmworkers across the state. (http://www.mainehep.org).
- We are collaborating with FAME and Maine Adult Education programs to support GED students to aspire to and enroll in college.
- With funds from the Maine Department of Education, we have done some extensive work with educators from across the state to enhance the use by teachers of digital technology including Open Education Resources (OERs) (http://www.syntiro.org/oer/) and digital textbooks.
- We administered the Maine State GEAR UP program for the Maine Department of Education serving 18 Maine school districts and more than 4000 students in grades 7-12 during 2005-2011. (http://www.gearupme.org).
- We provided professional development in positive behavior interventions and supports throughout Maine with funds from IDEA and served over 1000 educators impacting 20,000 students in 150 schools (http://www.mepbis.org) during the three year project period ending in 2012.
- We provided intensive planning and professional development on Response to Intervention in two Maine school districts with funds from IDEA.
Organizational development, facilitation, strategic planning
- We provide organizational development, facilitation and strategic planning to school districts and community organizations.
- In the last few years, examples of our work including facilitating and staffing of the Governor’s Task Force to Engage Maine’s Youth; facilitating the Maine Department of Education’s Rate Setting Consensus Panel for Special Purpose Private Schools; strategic planning and board development for the Autism Society of Maine; and facilitating and planning to address the needs of Maine’s Baxter School for the Deaf.
- We provide organizational support and leadership for the Maine Chapter of CEC. (http://syntiro.org/index.php/divisions/collaborations/council-for-exceptional-children-cec)
Health and wellness
- We provide life coaching for educators under the Journeys for Women initiative. (http://www.journeysforwomen.org)
- We hosted the Maternal and Child Health Bureau’s Healthy and Ready to Work National Resource Center (2006-2010) and collaborated with the Maine CDC’s Children with Special Health Care Needs Program on the MCHB funded Integrated Services project.
Employment supports for individuals with disabilities
- We provide a wide variety of professional development and support to Maine’s transition, community rehabilitation and work support providers across the state under the Employment for ME Workforce Development System. (http://www.employmentformewds.org)
- We have supported the rejuvenation of the Maine APSE chapter and its ongoing efforts. (http://www.maineapse.org)
- We are actively engaged in the Employment First Maine efforts (http://www.employmentfirstmaine.org)
Syntiro provides personalized technical assistance and innovative professional learning opportunities designed to enhance organizational and individual capacity.
Beliefs and Values
- Deep meaning and learning is supported by being a member of a community that provides a sense of caring and belonging.
- Learners need to be active participants in their own learning.
- In modeling our purpose, beliefs and values.
- In valuing the gifts each individual brings/has.
- Celebrating is an important part of learning.
- In respecting the learners’ ability/right to make decisions about their learning.
- Reflection creates meaningful learning and effective practice.
- Risk-taking results in growth and enlivens/energizes learning.
- Our mission and commitment guide us.