Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
Syntiro hosts the Maine Chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children. Our professional development is co-sponsored by the Chapter. Syntiro staff facilitates meetings of Chapter members and provides on-going support to Chapter officers. www.syntiro.org
CEC Webinar - Teaching Content Literacy and the Common Core State Standards in Diverse Middle Schools: Using Collaborative Strategic Reading. - March 18, 2013
Click here for more information or to register.
The CEC National Conference is the largest professional development event dedicated to special and gifted education. There are hundreds of educational sessions conducted by leading experts and endless opportunities to network with others working with children and youth with exceptionalities and their families. The Conference gives educators a chance to catch up on what’s happening in the field, broaden their perspective of special education, and further their professional growth.
Maine CEC means
- Leadership and structure
- Professional development in the form of synchronous and asynchronous learning
- Monthly communication with membership about current issues
- Opportunity to come together
- Collaborative connection/working relationships with Maine Parent Federation, Maine Association of Special Education Directors, Learning Disabilities Association of Maine, Maine Arts Commission, Maine Department of Education, Disability Rights Council in order to represent all of Maine’s unique needs.
- Representation at the national convention.
- Working knowledge of the unique needs of schools in a rural state.
- Resources on the Syntiro/Maine CEC website.
- Support/resource for special educators in Maine.
The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving the educational success of individuals with disabilities and/or gifts and talents. CEC advocates for appropriate governmental policies, sets professional standards, provides professional development, advocates for individuals with exceptionalities, and helps professionals obtain conditions and resources necessary for effective professional practice. http://www.cec.sped.org
CEC is the leading voice for special and gifted education. Through the vision and dedication of over 30,000 members, CEC sets the standard for high quality education for children and youth with exceptionalities. The Council ensures the needs of children and youth with exceptionalities are met in educational legislation, establishes professional standards for the field, and d